Friday, March 28, 2008

Training while traveling

This week, I had my first experience maintaining my training while on business travel. Although it took a little more logistical planning, it ended up being successful. Work brought me to midtown Atlanta from Monday through Thursday this week. On Monday, I completed my morning swim in Birmingham before getting on the road for a noon appointment in Atlanta. I completed my next swim with the Dynamo Masters Wednesday evening. With a variety of swimmers, including a couple with Olympic Trial cuts, the 3600 meter long course practice provided an excellent workout. I returned to Birmingham Thursday night, just in time to get a good nights rest for my normal Friday morning swim. Since my hotel was right in the middle of downtown, I decided to bring my indoor rollers instead of braving the Atlanta traffic on my bike. I maintained my cycling fitness with two one hour sessions on the rollers. Finally, I made great use of the hotel treadmill with two run sessions totaling about 10 miles. Although it wasn’t a tough training week for me, it was enough to maintain my fitness while traveling.

No comments: