Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Proper Rest

The switch from daylight savings reminded me of another crucial part of training: PROPER REST. As a general rule, I try to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. This means getting to bed before 10:00 pm on nights where I intend to work out in the morning. For reasons I have yet to determine, my body seems to be taking much longer to adjust to the time change than in years past. Since I haven’t been falling to sleep until 11pm to 12am lately, I have been skipping morning workouts and trying to make up for it in the evening. Rather than trying to work out on 5 or 6 hours of sleep, I feel that it is far more important to get a proper night of sleep and get the most out of one evening workout rather than two-a-day. Medical studies have shown how the body can break down very quickly without proper rest. Since day jobs and emergencies tend to interrupt evening workouts far more than morning workouts, I am looking forward to getting over the time change soon.

No comments: