Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Training update

Originally, I planned to run the Perseverance 5k this past Saturday. I like to run occasional 5k races as a speed gauge. For the 10k run in Xterra, 5k runs are a useful tool to determine how much speed work I need. Unfortunately, the freezing temperatures and slick roads kept me indoors for the day. Instead of lying around the house, I did find the motivation to get a good two hour “brick” workout in. For those new to triathlon, a brick workout is basically just a workout that includes at least two tri sports back to back. The idea is to acclimate your body to using the different muscle groups required for different sports back to back. Anyway, my indoor workout on Saturday included 40 minutes on my rollers followed by a 20 minute run at 10mph. I repeated this twice. With daylight savings ending, race season is just around the corner. It’s crucial to stay healthy and consistent with training, despite what mother -nature decides to do.

No comments: