Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Slow Return

It’s now 10 days into the aftermath of one of my worst cycling crashes ever. While I hoped to be back in the full swing of things by now, that is still a dream. Although the bleeding has ceased, the 30mph asphalt Slip & Slide has left portions of my back still completely raw. While it’s healing well, there is a 16 sq inch section of road rash spanning my lower back across my waistline. Although cycling shorts ride high enough in the back to cover it, my swimsuits cut right into it. I’ll have to try swimming in cycling shorts for a while, making sure to limit the sun exposure to the rest of my unpigmented skin. To add insult to injury, I have developed a case of plantar fasciitis in my left foot. Most people get this from overuse, however a full week of walking around either barefoot or in unsupported flip-flops seems to be the root of my problem; you would think this would be a more natural, and thus healthier, state of being. Hopefully proper stretching and a few more days of easy riding on my trainer will allow my body time to heal.

2 comments:

SuperSnail said...

Take it easy and heal up O.

letlive said...

Omar,
I am up with your BLOG now. I hope you recover even more by this weekend. You'll have a little extra rest going in. Make sure you give a call on Saturday or Sunday, to let me know the results.
Talk to you later. da