Thursday, May 29, 2008

Clean Bike = Fast bike

A clean bike is a fast bike. Well at least a clean drive-train makes a faster bike. Over the years, I have tried various soap/water solutions, bicycle degreasers, and even engine degreasers to keep my bicycle drive-trains clean. However, recently, I have found the best bang for the buck method: an old toothbrush and some WD40. After rinsing my bike down with a hose (avoiding spraying directly at any bearing assembly’s) to remove the mud and dirt, I spray wd40 liberally on the chain, chainrings, and cassette. With the bike in a stand, I pack-pedal so that the chain moves through the bristles of the toothbrush. I continue this on the chainrings and cassette. Another quick spray of the drive-train with a hose knocks off most of the residue. I then take a clean and dry rag and wipe down the drive-train. After a few squirts of chain lube, the bike is ready for more action. Regular drive-train cleaning, especially on mountain bikes, will greatly extend the life of some very costly components.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simple Green Heavy Duty (purple stuff) works great on getting the crud off the rest of the bike.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

Anonymous said...

Cool blog as for me. I'd like to read more concerning this topic. Thanks for posting this info.
Sexy Lady
Call girls