Sunday, October 14, 2007

Xterra Worlds Training Update

Two weeks from today I'll be duking it out with the worlds best at the Xterra World Championship in Maui. I'm really happy with my overall training for this season. In my first year of training for triathlons, I've completed three major goals: staying true to a consistent training regiment,showing measureable improvements in all three disciplines, and staying realtively injury free. There was a bike crash in mid July, and some shin splints from running early in the season, but nothing that kept me away from any one sport for more than a few days. The ability speed injury recovery by replacing one sport with another is a great benifit of triathlon training. In my first year, I still have lots of room for improvement in all disciplines. My basic schedule for the last 3 months has been the following: AM - PM Mon: Swim Tue: Run- Road Bike Wed: Swim- Mnt Bike Thur: Run- Road Bike Fri: Swim- Sat: Swim/Road Bike Sun: Mnt Bike/Run This schedule has worked to give anywhere from 12 to 15 hours a week of solid training. I have varied the running between treadmill,track, trail, and road in order to minimize joint impact and try and maximize leg conditioning. I've also mixed in some spin classes with the road cycling in order to minimize my exposure to cell phone wielding motorists. With two weeks to go, I plan to taper with the basic formula of scaling back the amount of time spent doing each discipline, and then scaling back the intensity. More to come on the road to Maui...

No comments: